So you want to get the word out about your event?
Reserve your space:
- Book the location of your event with the Office of Special Events by completing the online request form. Be sure to submit reservations at least 10 business days prior to the event.
- Faculty and staff can email their request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit your event to the Source to be listed on the Source calendar and receive twitter promotion via Oglethorpe’s official Twitter account. Submitting your event to the Source also ensures that your event will be included in Monday’s event email “This Week at Oglethorpe”, on the Stall Wall Weekly, and in the Oglethorpe app.
- When submitting your event to the Source, check the box to apply for Petrel Points to help increase attendance at your event.
- Check the Oglethorpe social media directory and when promoting your event on social media, tag the Oglethorpe groups involved, or those that may be interested in your event (including the Oglethorpe U. account). Customized messages encourage sharing!
- Consider submitting an announcement to the Source the week of the event, in order to be included in Wednesday’s email News & Announcements from the Source.
- If your event has a good story behind it, email University Communications well in advance and pitch your idea to be considered for our Source online stories.
Get the word out on campus:
- Get your event advertised on the TLCC TV screens by submitting artwork to the online form on the Student Activities website. *Design tip: Power Point’s widescreen setting will create a slide in the correct dimensions for the TV screens. Just save it as a .jpg in order to submit it to the form.
- Hang a banner in the TLCC for up to three business days. Banners cannot exceed the size of a twin size sheet and must be approved by a member of the Campus Life office located in the Student Commons.
- Consider tabling during lunch and dinner time in TLCC. Submit your request to reserve a table.
- Print and hang posters on bulletin boards around campus.
- Using the OU logo? Review Oglethorpe’s brand standards and download logo files from University Communications.
- If you’re interested in finding a graphic designer, many online resources are available through services like Fiverr. (Use an online service like this at your own risk.)
- Or, get a referral for a professional graphic designer that has done official work for Oglethorpe University. Email University Communications for more information. Expect to spend $100-200 for a poster design.
- If you’d like professionally printed 11×17 posters, we suggest using our preferred printer, Trinity Press, who can be contacted at email@example.com. Expect to pay about $40 for 50 posters.
- Hang your posters on bulletin boards in just about every building on campus. Please note: Flyers or posters taped to doors or windows anywhere on campus will be removed.
- Bring copies of your flyers to Student Commons, and they will be distributed to RAs for placement in residence halls.
Invite the Community:
- If your event is open to the public, consider adding it to free local media event calendars, like Access Atlanta. If you’re interested in this, please contact University Communications as we work with these calendars often and can help with this option.